Intrinsic motivation in children
Intrinsic motivation is completing a skill or activity based on personal interest and enjoyment not for external rewards. Many times young children need external motivation to complete activities during therapy sessions. Therapists may use different reward systems such as Punch Cards and Reward Cards for Therapy to encourage children to participate in therapy sessions. Intrinsic motivation can be harder to facilitate in children. Here are a few tips to increase intrinsic motivation in children:
1. Independent thinking: Allow the student to work on a certain skill and report back to you how they have improved that skill. They can improve or change it anyway that they think will help.
2. Provide choices: Children can be more intrinsically motivated if they have a say in how they are accomplishing a goal. Try not to make any activity a requirement.
3. Teach self direction: Everyone feels a larger sense of accomplishment when you are able to do something all by yourself.
4. Power of positive thinking: Having an “I can” attitude can help tremendously and build up a student’s confidence. Check out for ideas at
5. Cooperative learning: Students may feel more motivated when they can work with other students to help or teach them a skill
6. Ask questions: Encourage students to think for themselves rather than provide answers for them. For example – what suggestions do you have to increase your handwriting speed?
7. Keep it fun with some competition: Most kids like to win and feel a sense of pride when they do . Therapeutic activities can be intertwined with games.
8. Shoot for your personal best: Don’t compare your abilities to others but rather that you improve each time. Teach the student to track his/her own goals to visually represent improvements over time. Check out My Goal Tracker at for student generated data collection.
9. Plan together: Ask the student how they would like to reach a goal? Explain what options are available (ie different types of strengthening or aerobic exercises) and plan together what may work best.
10. Educate the student: When you are working on a certain activity, explain to the student why you are doing that specific activity and how it will help him/her in their everyday life.What does accrual mean? How to slide in madden 21? What does the humidity percentage mean? What is mewing? What does traits mean? What does amara mean? How to merge pdfs? How to get rid of weeds? What is an opp? How to untangle a necklace? How to clear cookies on safari? how does video downloader helper work What is the saweetie meal? how do you turn a trailer in a tight spot helper What does lien title mean? Tips when drawing chibi? How to get rid of shaving bumps? how to beat santa's little helper on brutal Tips how to reduce carbon footprint? How to fake your own landlord reference+forms and tips? What does rdw mean in a blood test? How to lower blood pressure instantly? What does haze mean in weather? What is zen? How to raise hdl cholesterol? What is the meaning of lag baomer? How many tricks in game of spades? how much does a plastic surgeon helper make How to get percentage of something? How to remove accounts on instagram? What is the meaning of ras? How to bake chicken drumsticks? How shin lim does card tricks? What is bone broth? What does it mean when you see a shooting star? Guy teaches famous artiest how to do vape tricks? How to take off airpod pro tips? What is sucralfate used for? how much does a driver helper make at reinhart foods? universal coil helper springs - who has lowest price in my area What does dash diet stand for? What does advent mean? how to remove helper in wow How to cut a mullet? How much do dealers make in tips?